The Sloan Consortium (Sloan-C) announced today it will present its 2013 Sloan-C Awards at the 19th Annual Sloan Consortium International Conference on Online Learning, at the Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin Resort, Lake Buena Vista, Florida, Thursday, Nov. 21, 2013.
“The Sloan-C Awards recognize the tremendous advances in online learning that result from the ideas and initiatives of individuals and colleges and universities globally,” said Meg Benke, president of Sloan-C’s board of directors. “On behalf of Sloan-C and our entire community, I congratulate this year’s honorees.”
“This year’s field of nominees implemented an impressive array of innovative approaches, creating a highly competitive selection process,” added Burks Oakley II, chair of the Awards Selection Committee. “The 2013 recipients have demonstrated exceptional leadership and real success in advancing online education.”
The recipients of the 2013 Sloan-C Awards are:
- Frank Mayadas Leadership Award: Jack M. Wilson, University of Massachusetts
- Ralph E. Gomory Award for Quality Online Education: Washington State University Global Campus
- John R. Bourne Outstanding Achievement in Online Education: Kaye Shelton, Lamar University
- Excellence in Institution-Wide Online Education: Lone Star College System
- Excellence in Faculty Development for Online Teaching: Office of Distance Education, University of Louisiana at Lafayette
- Outstanding Online Program: Master of Science in Biotechnology, University of Maryland University College
- Excellence in Online Teaching (2 awards): Susan Manning, University of Wisconsin – Stout and Betty A. Rambur, University of Vermont
- Special Recognition for Pedagogical Innovation (from the Awards Selection Committee): Certificate in Food Security, Ryerson University’s G. Raymond Chang School of Continuing Education
- Board of Directors Award: Jeff Seaman and I. Elaine Allen, Babson Survey Research Group, Babson University
The Sloan-C Awards Selection Committee for 2013 was comprised of:
- Carla Bradley, Ozarks Technical Community College, IELOL graduate
- Devon Cancilla, University of Missouri Kansas City, recipient of 2012 Sloan-C Bourne Award for Outstanding Achievement in Online Education
- Catheryn Cheal, San Jose State University, Sloan-C Board of Directors
- Liz Ciabocchi, Long Island University, IELOL graduate
- Robbie Kendall-Melton, Tennessee Board of Regents and Sloan-C Board of Directors
- Burks Oakley II, committee chair, recipient of 2003 Sloan-C Award for Outstanding Achievement in Online Education by an Individual
- Anthony G. Picciano, Hunter College, recipient of 2010 Sloan-C Award for Outstanding Achievement in Online Education by an Individual
- Wayne D. Smutz, Pennsylvania State University, recipient of 2011 Sloan-C Bourne Award for Outstanding Achievement in Online Education
Details about the Awards are available at http://sloanconsortium.org/sloan-c-awards/2013.
About the Conference
The 2013 Sloan-C International Conference on Online Learning is the premier global gathering focused on online learning. It is a forum for approaching the complex issues and opportunities that face all concerned with the future of students, faculty, and institutions. The theme for this year’s conference is “Online Learning: A Universe of Opportunities.” Details, including speakers, program and registration, are available at http://sloanconsortium.org/conference/2013/aln/welcome.
The Sloan Consortium (Sloan-C) is the leading professional online learning society devoted to advancing quality e-Education learning into the mainstream of education through its community. Sloan-C is dedicated to providing access to high quality e-Education to individuals, institutions, professional societies and the corporate community. For more information, visit http://www.sloanconsortium.org.